Enjoy this cake quickly… once everyone has tasted it, it will quickly disappear! No matter where my brother was stationed in the Navy, this cake was always at the top of his care package request list.
Preparation Time: 15
Cook Time: 40
Ready Time: 1h 5min
- 6 large green apples (Granny smiths)
- 2 large eggs
- 6-7 tbsp – 80g sugar
- 2 tbsp – 25g salted butter (plus for greasing)
- ½ cup – 80g plain all-purpose flour
- ½ cup – 100ml heavy cream
- 3 tsp – 12g Baking powder
- A pinch or two of powdered cinnamon
- 1 whole Lemon zest
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp powdered (icing Sugar)
How to Make Layered Fresh Apple Cake
1) Cream of eggs and sugar. Add the cream in the center then the melted butter. Add the flour sifted with the yeast and the cinnamon. Mix well.
Peel and core the apples cut them in half. Using a mandolin, slice the apples reasonably finely. If you don’t have one, use a knife. Gently mix the apples into the mixture without breaking them and try to coat as many slices as possible.
3) Mix the apples gently without breaking them and try to coat as many slices as possible.
Line the bottom of a springform cake tin with parchment paper, grease the sides and bottom with plenty of butter. Place the apple mixture in the cake pan and press down firmly, flattening it. Use your clean hands if you wish. Sprinkle lightly with slivered almonds on top. Don’t cover everything, as you want the apples to brown a little.
4) Cook for 35 to 40 minutes at a temperature of 170°C. Remove and leave to cool for 60 minutes before unmoulding.
5) Once out of the mold, sprinkle a little powder (powdered sugar) on top and let cool completely. Once cooled, it is ready to be sliced.